[TcsBu] Seminar Wednesday Dec 13: Stadium: A Distributed Metadata-Private Messaging System

Yilei Chen chenyl at bu.edu
Thu Dec 7 20:51:16 EST 2017

Next week we are glad to have our own Yossi to talk about his work on
"Stadium". Note that the room is MCS 148. Followed by lunch at BUsec lounge
as usual.

Stadium: A Distributed Metadata-Private Messaging System
Speaker: Yossi Gilad  (BU & MIT)
Wednesday Dec 13, 2017, 10 am - 11 am.
BU MCS 148, 111 Cummington St, Boston MA 02215. *** unusual location ***

Private communication over the Internet remains a challenging problem. Even
if messages are encrypted, it is hard to deliver them without revealing
metadata about which pairs of users are communicating. Scalable anonymity
systems, such as Tor, are susceptible to traffic analysis attacks that leak
metadata. In contrast, the largest-scale systems with metadata privacy
require passing all messages through a small number of providers, requiring
a high operational cost for each provider and limiting their deployability
in practice.
This paper presents Stadium, a point-to-point messaging system that
provides metadata and data privacy while scaling its work efficiently
across hundreds of low-cost providers operated by different organizations.
Much like Vuvuzela, the current largest-scale metadata-private system,
Stadium achieves its provable guarantees through differential privacy and
the addition of noisy cover traffic. The key challenge in Stadium is
limiting the information revealed from the many observable traffic links of
a highly distributed system, without requiring an overwhelming amount of
noise. To solve this challenge, Stadium introduces techniques for
distributed noise generation and differentially private routing as well as
a verifiable parallel mixnet design where the servers collaboratively check
that others follow the protocol. We show that Stadium can scale to support
4× more users than Vuvuzela using servers that cost an order of magnitude
less to operate than Vuvuzela nodes.

Joint work with Nirvan Tyagi, Derek Leung, Matei Zaharia and Nickolai
Zeldovich.

--
Yilei Chen