[RISCS] CCI talk, Wed, March 6: Aggregation and Dispersion in Cloud Security

Treese, Win treese at bu.edu
Fri Mar 1 16:02:50 EST 2013

The next CCI talk will be on Wednesday, March 6, 1-3 PM at the Hariri Institute.

The guest speaker is Dr. Ari Juels, Chief Scientist of RSA

Title: Aggregation and Dispersion in Cloud Security

Cloud computing and virtualization, a key supporting technology, offer
flexibility and agility in the placement of resources. Certain risks,
however, arise from cloud services’ tendency to aggregate sensitive data
and workloads. I’ll discuss side-channel attacks resulting from the
co-location of disparate tenants’ virtual machines (VMs) on hosts and the
vulnerabilities posed by databases aggregating the authentication secrets,
e.g., password hashes, of numerous users. Conversely, cloud computing
offers new opportunities to distribute data. I’ll describe a new,
research-driven RSA product that splits sensitive data across systems or
organizations, removing the single points of compromise that otherwise
naturally arise in cloud services.

Dr. Ari Juels is Chief Scientist of RSA, The Security Division of
EMC. He joined RSA in 1996.