[RINA] First RINA meeting: Discussion on the TINOS platform

Flavio Esposito flavio at cs.bu.edu
Tue Sep 7 13:52:46 EDT 2010

Dear all,
On Friday, during our first RINA meeting, I am going to lead the discussion
on this position paper submitted by Ibrahim and others at the last
ReArch<http://conferences.sigcomm.org/co-next/2010/Workshops/REARCH/>workshop.

The paper is attached and the abstract is here below. Please be ready to
discuss it.
Thanks,

Flavio

Abstract:
Recursive InterNetwork Architecture (RINA) is based on the
principle that networking is Inter Process Communication
(IPC); it recurses the IPC service over different scopes.
TINOS is a Java-based open source platform that enables
fast and flexible prototyping of network protocols in a vir-
tualized environment. The recursive layering of RINA, and
the organizational structure of the Distributed IPC Facility
(DIF) layer into IPC processes, makes the TINOS platform
a highly suited deployment environment. The protocol
components are developed in Java and cooperate within an
OSGi framework. In this position paper we provide an
introduction to the TINOS platform and an overview of
early stage RINA prototyping upon TINOS. TINOS and the
RINA prototype have been developed within an open source
community and coordinated by the Pouzin Society across
various national and international R&D groups.