[RINA] RINA Presentation for Friday 15th Oct

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 17:07:08 EDT 2010

At 13:44 -0400 2010/10/14, akin at bu.edu wrote:
>Thanks for the comments. The authors actually made some
>assumptions to arrive at a tractable model.

Yes, the point is that they made flawed assumptions.  At the very
least, the models used for network and service provider should be
reversed.

But to be more realistic and perhaps avoid intractability problems as
well consider what real companies are doing.  First of all, if they
are doing them, someone has thought about long and hard and while I
have seen many flawed business plans, most of these companies have
been in business a long time.

1)  The only businesses I know which are even close to being purely
network providers, charge for usage, e.g. cell phones.

2)  There is strong evidence that those businesses who charge a flat
rate treat the "network provider" part of their business as a loss
leader, as a cost of doing business.  Comcast and Verizon are making
their money on content, not on the Internet.  Even with the move to
more downloads and on-demand rather tv channels, the business is
content, not the network.

3)  As I say in my class, from the beginning the network provider
recognized that the 5 layer architecture relegated them to at best a
commodity business with very low margins.  IP has made it worse,
where all they could do was order bigger routers and more fiber.

4)  As I have argued elsewhere, the RINA model changes that in a
couple of directions.

5)  If I were you, I would construct the business models to be
realistic.  Then figure out what kind of math you need or where you
can make simplifying assumptions.  Don't make the mistake of queuing
theory of fitting the problem to the math.  And'or, determine what
questions you want to ask.  For example, do you want to try to show
that a there is or is not a viable model for a pure network provider?
Or what the conditions would have to be for it to be the case?

6) BTW, there has been a mildly amusing discussion on the
internet-history list this week on "owning" IP addresses.  With the
basic conclusion, (lead by me) that you can't own them.  Or at best
only providers can own them.  There is no market for them.

This should get tomorrow's discussion off to a good start.

Take care,
John