[RINA] Question for all of you

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sat Oct 2 06:59:53 EDT 2010

>Hi John,
>to me a layer is
>a logical abstraction identified by a set of functions for which
>it's the unique responsible.

Let me get to the heart of it, is the layer a property of a system or
of a set of systems?  Can I have a layer in the traditional sense in
a single system?

>Can we say that RINA design principle assumes an holistic approach
>that is against the modularized "divide and conquer" architecture
>ala ISO-OSI, where each so called layer has a limited variables
>scope?

Not quite sure what you mean here.  Are you referring to Dykstra's
concept that the functions included in a given layer do not need to
be replicated at higher layers?

John