[RINA] Question for all of you

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Oct 1 22:32:16 EDT 2010

Lately, I have had inklings from discussions on various IETF lists
that what I thought a layer was may be at odds with what much of the
Internet thinks a layer is.

So I thought I would ask all of you, what it was you were taught a
layer was?  Could you define or otherwise characterize the concept
of"layer"?  Not layer in RINA, but the concept of layer as you
understood it prior to RINA (in case knowledge of RINA has changed
your concept of layer).  Of course it would be interesting to know
whether or not it has.

This is not a trick question.  I suspect that there is a subtle
difference and this is the only way I can think to test the
hypothesis.

Take care,
John