[NRG] Fwd: Call for Participation: AT&T Research Academic Summit 2016

John Byers byers at cs.bu.edu
Wed Feb 17 08:21:00 EST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *LO, SAU M (SAU M)* <samantha at research.att.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Subject: Call for Participation: AT&T Research Academic Summit 2016
To: "byers at cs.bu.edu" <byers at cs.bu.edu>
Cc: "summit_2016 at research.att.com" <summit_2016 at research.att.com>

Dear Professor Byers,

We are writing to invite your students to our upcoming student workshop at
AT&T Research. The primary goals of this two-day workshop are to introduce
students to the unique technical challenges AT&T faces and to enhance AT&T
/ academic collaborations.

The summit will feature student posters and demos, AT&T speakers from
Research, Operations and management, panel discussions, breakout sessions
and a Global Network Operations Center (GNOC) tour. There will be
opportunities for one-on-one interactions between AT&T and academic
attendees.

(While the event will be student-centric, faculty members are also welcome
to join.)

The topics that will be covered in this workshop will be those which AT&T
is leveraging to drive one of the most radical changes to its network
design since the introduction of IP---by transitioning our carrier grade
multi-service network into cloud-based infrastructure. In particular, the
workshop will focus on the following topics:
-          Software defined networks (SDN)
-          Network function virtualization (NFV)
-          Cloud-based networks/systems
-          Architecture/design for SDN
-          APIs for orchestration & management
-          Policy and control
-          Applications of SDNs
-          Techniques for  measuring and improving performance of SDNs

In addition to introducing ourselves to your students, we want to get to
know them and their work as well. The poster and demo sessions are designed
for students to showcase their research to AT&T researchers, architects and
developers. Both early stage works-in-progress and more mature submissions
are encouraged. An award will be provided for the work judged most likely
to revolutionize the telecommunications industry.

Please find additional information about this event in the attached flyer.
The workshop organizers will cover the meals at the workshop and the social
event on Thursday evening. Attendees are expected to cover their individual
lodging and transportation expenses.

We hope your students will be able to attend the workshop and look forward
to meeting them in person.

Best regards

AT&T Research 2016 Academic Event Committee
(Vijay Gopalakrishnan, Samantha Lo, Joshua Reich, Subhabrata Sen, Oliver
Spatscheck, Jia Wang, Jennifer Yates)