[NRG] Thesis Proposal Defense: Christine Bassem

Crovella, Mark E crovella at bu.edu
Tue Jan 20 17:43:19 EST 2015

PhD Proposal Defense: Christine Bassem
Monday, January 26
11am
MCS 148

Title: Route Coordination in Brokered Environments
With the recent shift towards the integration of federated commodities to provide high quality services, the adoption of brokered environments has increased. In brokered environments, participants share information about their resources and/or workloads with each other and a broker, which acts as an intermediary between them; with varying degrees of involvement.  As many services can be provided in such environments, I focus on the services that require the routing of a set of commodities over a communication/mobility graph, hence the route coordination of autonomous commodities is required.
In this talk, I will briefly present the route coordination models that I study in my thesis, and discuss in details my most recent work on network-constrained packing of brokered workloads in virtualized environments. This work is a form of implicit route coordination on stationary graphs, in which routes’ properties are implicitly defined by their endpoints, and route coordination includes the decision on the endpoints of communication. As we focus on the problem of providing predictability guarantees to data-intensive workloads, we observe the range of data-intensive applications and data center topologies to define an abstraction that allows us to relate the problem to that of bin packing with implicit network properties. Then, we exploit that abstraction to classify the problem model into several special instances, and develop polynomial-time exact algorithms for two of these special instances that occur frequently in reality. Finally, we develop a greedy heuristic to solve the problem in the general model, which we evaluate via extensive simulations.
Committee:
Azer Bestavros (reader)
Ibrahim Matta (reader)
Evimaria Terzi (reader)