[NRG] Next NRG meeting (March 2nd) moved to 1:00pm

Yuefeng Wang wyf at bu.edu
Wed Feb 25 12:25:23 EST 2015

Hello everyone,

Due to the conflict with the faculty candidate talk, our next NRG meeting
(March 2nd) is moved to 1:00pm, still at Room 148.

Regards,
Larissa and Yuefeng

Title: “SIMPLE-fying Middlebox Policy Enforcement Using SDN”

Presenter: Nabeel Akhtar

Authors: Zafar Ayyub Qazi, Cheng-Chun Tu, Luis Chiang, Rui Miao, Vyas
Sekar, and

Minlan Yu.

Abstract:

Networks today rely on middleboxes to provide critical performance,
security, and

policy compliance capabilities. Achieving these benefits and ensuring that
the traffic

is directed through the desired sequence of middleboxes requires
significant

manual effort and operator expertise. In this respect, Software-Defined
Networking

(SDN) offers a promising alternative. Middleboxes, however, introduce new
aspects

(e.g., policy composition, resource management, packet modifications) that
fall

outside the purvey of traditional L2/L3 functions that SDN supports (e.g.,
access

control or routing). This paper presents SIMPLE, a SDN-based policy
enforcement

layer for efficient middlebox-specific “traffic steering”. In designing
SIMPLE, we take

an explicit stance to work within the constraints of legacy middleboxes and
existing

SDN interfaces. To this end, we address algorithmic and system design
challenges to

demonstrate the feasibility of using SDN to simplify middlebox traffic
steering. In

doing so, we also take a significant step toward addressing industry
concerns

surrounding the ability of SDN to integrate with existing infrastructure
and support

L4–L7 capabilities.

Note: Paper is from SIGCOMM 2013 and can be found at

http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2013/papers/sigcomm/p27.pdf