[NRG] NRG meetings

Larissa Spinelli lspinell at bu.edu
Mon Sep 16 15:47:15 EDT 2013

Hi,

The NRG meetings will keep the usual time: Mondays from 11:00AM to 12:00.
The presentation schedule of Fall is posted in the Network Research Group
page:  http://www.bu.edu/cs/nrg
 If you have some interesting work that you would like to present this
semester, please send us an email so we can add you to the schedule.

The NRG meetings this Fall will start at September 23th with a talk by Nicaise
Choungmo Fofack (PhD student of U. Nice Sophia Antipolis / INRIA) on Modern
DNS cache network.

Best,

Larissa & Yuefang

*******
Title: Modern DNS cache network
Presenter: Nicaise Eric Choungmo Fofack PhD student, U. Nice Sophia
Antipolis / INRIA (France)
Monday Sept 23, 11AM
MCS148

Abstract: Caching is undoubtedly one of the most popular solution that
easily scales up with a world-wide deployment of resources. The Domain Name
System (DNS) is a well-known example of such cache deployment. Recent
experiments on DNS hierarchy reveal that most of DNS caches over Internet
have deviated from their traditional behavior by violating the Time-To-Live
(TTL) rule specified in the RFC 6195. Theses DNS caches are called {\em
modern DNS} in the literature. In this paper, we provide an analytic tool
to assess the performance of the modern DNS hierarchy. We first introduce a
class of expiration-based (or TTL-based) cache systems which enables us to
describe the observed characteristics of modern DNS caches. We then compute
the metrics of interest and establish several properties from the
perspective of the modern caching hierarchy and end users, respectively
using simple arguments of renewal theory. We evaluate our model on a single
cache using real DNS traces and at network level through Event-driven and
Monte-Carlo simulations, jointly used with Fourier Amplitude Sensitivity
Test to explore the space of the input parameters. We observe that our
analytic model predicts remarkably well all performance metrics at all
caches of the network with relative errors smaller than $1\%$. Finally, we
use our theoretic findings to characterize the optimal TTL configuration,
explain some observed phenomenons and share the lessons learned on this
modern DNS hierarchy.

Bio: Graduated in June 2009, he got his Engineering degree in
Telecommunications Systems and Networks form National School of Applied
Science (ENSA) of Tanger. The year after in August 2010, he received the
MSc degree in Ubiquitous Networking and Computing at University of Nice
Sophia Antipolis (UNS). He was granted by The 2010 French Goverment MESR of
the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis for a PhD. This PhD thesis is
hosted in the team-project MAESTRO at INRIA Sophia Antipolis for the 3rd
and last year. He received the Best student Paper Award of the 6th
International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools
(ValueTools) 2012 for the paper "Analysis of TTL-based Cache Networks",
joined work with Philippe Nain (his PhD advisor), Giovanni Neglia and Don
Towsley (who he is currently visiting).

http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Nicaise.Choungmo_Fofack