[NRG] NRG meetings

Larissa Spinelli lspinell at bu.edu
Wed Oct 9 17:20:08 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow (Thursday, October 10) we will have the visit of Professor Rubén
Cuevas, Assistant Professor at University Carlos III of Madrid. He will
present in NRG seminar at *10AM* the talk " Are Trending Topics Useful For
Marketing? Visibility of Trending Topics vs Traditional
Advertisement". Please let me know if you would like to meet 1-1 with Rubén
Cuevas.

Monday October 14th is holiday but Tuesday October 15th is Monday
replacement schedule. So our follow NRG meeting it will be Tuesday October
15th at *11AM* where Giovanni will present a preview of his IMC 2013
presentation (short talk of ~20 minutes) "Studying Interdomain Routing over
Long Timescales".

Best,

Larissa

******

NRG Schedule: http://www.bu.edu/cs/nrg/

*NRG Seminar
Are Trending Topics Useful For Marketing? Visibility of Trending Topics vs
Traditional Advertisement
Rubén Cuevas, University Carlos III of Madrid
*
*Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10AM in MCS 148
*

*Abstract:* Trending Topics seem to be a powerful tool to be used in
marketing and advertisement contexts, however there is not any rigorous
analysis that demonstrates this. In this pa- per we present a first effort
in this direction. We use a dataset including more than 110K Trending
Topics from 35 countries collected over a period of 3 months as basis to
characterize the visibility offered by Local Trending Topics. Furthermore,
by using metrics that rely on the exposure time of Trending Topics and the
penetration of Twitter, we compare the visibility provided by Trending
Topics and tra- ditional advertisement channels such as newspapers’ ads or
radio-stations’ commercials for several countries. Our study confirms that
Trending Topics offer a comparable visibility to the aforementioned
traditional advertisement channels in those countries where we have
conducted our comparison study. Then, we conclude that Trending Topics can
be use- ful in marketing and advertisement contexts at least in the
analyzed countries.

*Short bio:* Rubén Cuevas is currently Assistant Professor at the
Telematics engineering Department at University Carlos III of Madrid. He
was research Intern at Telefonica Research Lab in 2008 and Courtesy
Assistant Professor at University of Oregon in 2012. Rubén obtained his MSc
and PhD in Telematics Engineering at University Carlos III of Madrid
(Spain) in 2007 and 2010 respectively. His main research interests include
Online Social Networks, Internet Measurements and Content Distribution. He
has published more than 40 papers in prestigious international journals and
conferences such as ACM CoNEXT, ACM COSN, WWW, IEEE Infocom, IEEE P2P,
IEEE/ACM ToN, IEEE TPDS or CACM. Furthermore, he is currently the PI of
three research grants funded by the European Union, the Spanish Government
and Industry.

*NRG Seminar
Studying Interdomain Routing over Long Timescales
Giovanni Comarela
*
*Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 11AM in MCS 148
*

*Abstract:*  The dynamics of interdomain routing have traditionally been
studied through the analysis of BGP update traffic.   However, such studies
tend to focus on the volume of BGP updates rather than their effects, and
tend to be local rather than global in scope. Studying the global state of
the Internet routing system over time requires the development of new
methods, which we do in this paper.   We define a new metric, MRSD, that
allows  us to measure the similarity between two prefixes with respect to
the state of the global routing system. Applying this metric over time
yields a measure of how the set of total paths to each prefix varies at a
given timescale. We implement this analysis method in a MapReduce framework
and apply it to  a dataset of more than 1TB, collected daily over 3
distinct years and monthly over 8 years.  We show that this analysis method
can uncover interesting aspects of how Internet routing has changed over
time.  We show that on any given day, approximately 1% of the next-hop
decisions made in the Internet change, and this property has been
remarkably constant over time;  the corresponding amount of change in one
month is 10% and in two years is 50%. Digging deeper, we can decompose
next-hop decision changes into two classes: churn, and structural
(persistent) change.   We show that structural change shows a strong 7-day
periodicity and that it represents approximately 2/3 of the total amount of
changes.