[NRG] Fwd: CS Seminars this week

Larissa Spinelli lspinell at bu.edu
Mon Oct 7 16:28:47 EDT 2013

Hi,

Rubén Cuevas, Assistant Professor at University Carlos III of Madrid, will
visit BU this Thursday, October 10 and present in the NRG seminar.

Best,

Larissa

*NRG Seminar
Are Trending Topics Useful For Marketing? Visibility of Trending Topics vs
Traditional Advertisement
Rubén Cuevas, University Carlos III of Madrid
*
*Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10AM in MCS 148
*

*Abstract:* Trending Topics seem to be a powerful tool to be used in
marketing and advertisement contexts, however there is not any rigorous
analysis that demonstrates this. In this pa- per we present a first effort
in this direction. We use a dataset including more than 110K Trending
Topics from 35 countries collected over a period of 3 months as basis to
characterize the visibility offered by Local Trending Topics. Furthermore,
by using metrics that rely on the exposure time of Trending Topics and the
penetration of Twitter, we compare the visibility provided by Trending
Topics and tra- ditional advertisement channels such as newspapers’ ads or
radio-stations’ commercials for several countries. Our study confirms that
Trending Topics offer a comparable visibility to the aforementioned
traditional advertisement channels in those countries where we have
conducted our comparison study. Then, we conclude that Trending Topics can
be use- ful in marketing and advertisement contexts at least in the
analyzed countries.

*Short bio:* Rubén Cuevas is currently Assistant Professor at the
Telematics engineering Department at University Carlos III of Madrid. He
was research Intern at Telefonica Research Lab in 2008 and Courtesy
Assistant Professor at University of Oregon in 2012. Rubén obtained his MSc
and PhD in Telematics Engineering at University Carlos III of Madrid
(Spain) in 2007 and 2010 respectively. His main research interests include
Online Social Networks, Internet Measurements and Content Distribution. He
has published more than 40 papers in prestigious international journals and
conferences such as ACM CoNEXT, ACM COSN, WWW, IEEE Infocom, IEEE P2P,
IEEE/ACM ToN, IEEE TPDS or CACM. Furthermore, he is currently the PI of
three research grants funded by the European Union, the Spanish Government
and Industry.