[NRG] Goeff Voelker Colloquium on Monday Nov 11

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Fri Nov 8 12:35:38 EST 2013

This Monday, November 11, BU is very excited to be hosting a CS colloquium
by Geoff Voelker from UCSD.  Geoff will be speaking about new network
measurement work uncovering the criminal activity involved in compromising
Internet hosts to send spam and do other nefarious things.

****

CS Colloquium: Exploring the Technical and Economic Factors Underlying
Internet Spam
Geoff Voelker, UCSD.
Mon, November 11, 11– 11:59am
MCS180, The Hariri Institute, 111 Cummington St, Boston MA

 The large-scale compromise of Internet hosts and services form a
 platform for supporting a range of criminal activity in the so-called
 Internet underground economy.  In this talk I will start by quickly
 surveying work that our group has performed over the past decade on
 the problems posed by these threats, and how our research directions
 have evolved over time in response to them.  In the remainder of the
 talk, I will go into detail on recent work that our group has
 performed in an end-to-end analysis of the spam value chain.  Using
 extensive measurements over months of diverse spam data, broad
 crawling of naming and hosting infrastructures, and product purchases
 from a wide variety of spam-advertised sites, I'll characterize the
 modern spam ecosystem including system infrastructure, business
 models, cost accounting, and consumer demand.  I'll end by
 characterizing the relative prospects for anti-spam interventions at
 multiple levels, initial results of interventions in the payment tier,
 and where our group is headed going forward.

 This work is part of a long-standing collaborative effort between
 UCSD and ICSI.

   http://www.evidencebasedsecurity.org
   http://www.sysnet.ucsd.edu/botnets
   http://www.ccied.org

 Geoffrey M. Voelker is a professor at the University of California at
 San Diego.  His research interests include operating systems,
 distributed systems, and computer networks.  He received a B.S. degree
 in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the University of
 California at Berkeley in 1992, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in
 Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Washington in 1995
and 2000, respectively.