[NRG] NRG Meeting next week

Larissa Spinelli lspinell at bu.edu
Thu Feb 28 15:43:41 EST 2013

Hi,

Daniel Figueiredo, my master adviser from Brazil, will be visiting BU and
presenting in the NRG meeting on Monday March 4 at 11AM.

Please let me know if you'd like to meet with Daniel on the day of his
visit. I'll be making up a schedule. He is mainly interested in topics
related to Network Science and in particular, Internet applications and
mathematical modeling of networked systems.

Thanks!

Larissa

NRG Meeting: Walking Around in a Changing World: Understanding Random Walks
on Dynamic Graphs (Daniel Figueiredo)
Presenter: Daniel Figueiredo (visitor professor)

Title:Walking Around in a Changing World: Understanding Random Walks on
Dynamic Graphs

Abstract:
The growing interest in understanding how things connect and the importance
of connectedness on various processes has lead to a large and
multidisciplinary body of work over the past decade. A fundamental aspect
is its dynamic nature as all networks constructed by nature or man suffer
structural changes over some time-scale. Random walks are a fundamental
building block for understanding networks and have been applied to problems
related to clustering, ranking, searching and routing. Its relatively
well-understood behavior on a static network and algorithmic simplicity
support its prominent role as a building block for different mechanisms.
However, very little is known about their behavior on dynamic networks. In
this talk we present a general modeling framework for dynamic networks and
continuous time random walks. We then analyze the long-term behavior
(steady state) of the
walker on dynamic networks and show it to be non-trivial, in striking
contrast to the static case. However, we characterize its steady state
behavior for three general special cases: (i) walker rate is much faster or
slower than network dynamics (time-scale separability); (ii) walker is
proportional to the degree of the node it resides on
(coupled dynamics); (iii) degrees of nodes in the same connected component
are identical (structural restriction). Finally, we apply our framework to
mobile wireless networks and show interesting properties in this scenario
that could be explored in the design of algorithms.

Joint work with: Philippe Nain, Bruno Ribeiro, Edmundo de Souza e Silva,
Don Towsley.
Full paper in ACM SIGMETRICS / IFIP PERFORMANCE 2012.

Bio:
Daniel R. Figueiredo received a MSc and PhD degree in Computer Science from
the University of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass) in 2005. He worked as a
post-doc researcher at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne
(EPFL). In 2007, he joined the Computer Science and Systems Engineering
Department at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), Brazil where
he currently holds an associate professor position. He has a Research
Productivity Fellowship (since 2009) granted by CNPq to academics in Brazil
and is a member (since 2010) of the Young Scientist Program granted by
FAPERJ to academics in the state of Rio de Janeiro. He is mainly interested
in topics related to Network Science and in particular, Internet
applications and mathematical modeling of networked systems.

*When*********Mon Mar 4, 2013 11am – 12pm Eastern Time *Where* MCS-148, 111
Cummington Mall, Boston, MA 02215
(map<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=MCS-148,+111+Cummington+Mall,+Boston,+MA+02215&hl=en>
) *Calendar* NRG Calendar