[NRG] BUsec this week: Davide Proserpio (Monday 10AM)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Sat Apr 20 11:58:52 EDT 2013

All,

Seminar returns this week, with a talk on differential privacy by our
own Davide Proserpio on Monday at 10AM. At the following week's
seminar, Robert Lychev (GATech/BU) will give a talk on routing
security, and on the Wednesday of that week, we are very excited to
host a distinguished lecture by Cynthia Dwork on her new research
area, "Fairness Through Awareness". Abstract below.  Hope to see you
all there.

How to get to BU from MIT:  Try the CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime
Shuttle" http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

*****

Calibrating Data to Sensitivity in Private Data Analysis
Speaker: Davide Proserpio, BU
Date: Monday April 22, 2013, 10AM
MCS137, 111 Cummington St

Abstract:We present a new approach to differentially private
computation in which one does not scale up the magnitude of noise for
challenging queries, but rather scales down the contributions of
challenging records. While scaling down all records uniformly is
equivalent to scaling up the noise magnitude, we show that scaling
records non-uniformly can result in substantially higher accuracy by
bypassing the worst-case requirements of differential privacy for the
noise magnitudes.

In this paper we detail the data analysis platform wPINQ, which
generalize the Privacy Integrated Query (PINQ) to weighted datasets.
Using a few simple operators (including a non-uniformly scaling Join
operator) we are able to reconstruct several recent results on graph
analysis and introduce new generalizations,e.g. counting triangles
with given degrees). We also show how to integrate probabilistic
inference techniques to synthesize datasets respecting more
complicated (and less easily interpreted) measurements, by connecting
differential privacy and incremental re-computation.

This is a joint work with Sharon Goldberg and Frank McSherry

*****

Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze?  BGP Security in Partial Deployment
Speaker: Robert Lychev, GATech & BU
Date: Monday April 29, 2013 10AM
MCS137, 111 Cummington St, Boston

Abstract TBA.

****
Fairness Through Awareness
Speaker: Cynthia Dwork, Microsoft Research, SVC
Date:  Wednesday May 1, 2013, 11AM
Hariri Institute, 111 Cummington St, Boston

"Why was I not shown this advertisement? Why was my loan application
denied? Why was I rejected from this university?"

This talk will address fairness in classification, where the goal is
to prevent discrimination against protected population subgroups in
classification systems while simultaneously preserving utility for the
party carrying out the classification, for example, the advertiser,
bank, or admissions committee. We argue that a classification is fair
only when individuals who are similar with respect to the
classification task at hand are treated similarly, and this in turn
requires understanding of sub cultures of the population. Similarity
metrics are applied in many contexts, but these are often hidden. Our
work explicitly exposes the metric, opening it to public debate.
(Joint work with Moritz Hardt, Toniann Pitassi, Omer Reingold, and
Richard Zemel.)

Our approach provides a (theoretical) method by which an on-line
advertising network can prevent discrimination against protected
groups, even when the advertisers are unknown and untrusted. We
briefly discuss the role of fairness in consumer objections to
behavioral targeting and explain how traditional notions of privacy
miss the mark and fail to address these. (Joint work with Deirdre
Mulligan.)

Finally, we discuss a machine learning instantiation of our approach,
in which the distance metric need not be given but can instead be
learned.  (Joint work with Toniann Pitassi, Yu Wu, and Richard Zemel.)