[NRG] Craig Wills: Shining Light on Leakage of Private Information Via the Web (Fri April 27 @ 3pm)

Bestavros, Azer best at bu.edu
Thu Apr 26 20:33:44 EDT 2012

________________________________

Joint CISE/RISCS Seminar and Computer Science Colloquium

Shining Light on Leakage of Private Information Via the Web

Friday April 27, 2012 / 3:00pm - 4:00pm
Location: 8 St. Mary's Street, PHO-203

Shining Light on Leakage of Private Information Via the Web

Craig Wills
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~cew/
Abstract: This talk seeks to shine light on the leakage of private information via the Web.  We first examine longitudinal results showing that the size of users' privacy footprints continues to grow as third-party trackers are increasingly used.  We then examine the leakage of private information about users to these third parties via social networking and non-social networking sites.  We conclude with a summary of what can be done to prevent leakage and our own ongoing work.

Speaker Bio: Craig Wills is Professor of Computer Science at Worcester Polytechnic Institute.  He does research on Internet application performance and measurement.  Recent work has examined issues related to Internet privacy with visibility in venues such as the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and NPR Science Friday.

Host: Azer Bestavros