[NRG] Fwd: [Busec] Talk by Charalampos Papamanthou Thursday 2/17 2:30

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Thu Feb 17 00:16:38 EST 2011

Leo and I have a visitor tomorrow, we would be glad if you could
attend his talk.

Boston University Security Seminar
Thursday, Feb 17, 2:30-3:30 pm
111 Cummington St, MCS 237

Note: if you are interested in meeting Charalampos, please let Leo
Reyzin know your availability for Thursday

Title : Authenticated data structures: Efficient verification of data
and computations in the cloud
Speaker: Charalampos Papamanthou, Brown University

Recently there has been an increasing interest in outsourcing locally
stored structured data as well as locally performed computations. This
trend has given rise to a new discipline, termed under the name ``cloud
computing", widely adopted by companies and individuals as a means of
saving operating and maintenance costs. However, the cloud is not a
panacea. Remotely-stored data may be lost or modified and third-party
computations may not be performed correctly, due to
errors or malicious attacks. Thus, while the cloud is an attractive
alternative to local trusted computational
resources, users need integrity guarantees in order to fully adopt this
new paradigm. Specifically, they need to
be assured that data has not been altered and computations have been
performed honestly.
Tackling the above problems requires the design of highly efficient
secure protocols, otherwise the main
purpose of adopting cloud computing, i.e., efficiency and scalability,
is defeated. It is essential that expertise in cryptography and
efficient algorithmics be combined to achieve these goals.

This talk explores integrity checking solutions that go beyond
traditional hash-based methods, towards improving efficiency and
achieving better asymptotic bounds. The systematic application of
multiple cryptographic primitives, such as accumulators, lattices and
bilinear maps, leads to the proposal of new dynamic authenticated data
structures schemes such as authenticated hash tables (supporting
(non)-membership queries), authenticated arrays (supporting simple
read/write operations) and authenticated sets collections (supporting
various set operations such as intersection and union), that compare
favorably to existing solutions. This talk will overview some of the
above constructions, argue about their theoretical and practical
efficiency and present some applications. We conclude by also reporting
on some practical work we have done to address the aforementioned problems.