[NRG] BUCS Colloquium by Nikolaos Laoutaris on Deep Diving into BitTorrent Locality [Mon 9/27 @ 3pm]

Bestavros, Azer best at bu.edu
Thu Sep 23 17:27:39 EDT 2010

________________________________

Boston University -- Computer Science Department

C O L L O Q U I U M

Monday September 27, 2010
3:00pm - 4:30pm
MCS-135

Deep Diving into BitTorrent Locality

Nikolaos Laoutaris

http://research.tid.es/nikos/

Abstract: A substantial amount of work has recently gone into localizing BitTorrent traffic within an ISP in order to avoid excessive and often times unnecessary transit costs. Several architectures and systems have been proposed and the initial results from specific ISPs and a few torrents have been encouraging. In this work we attempt to deepen and scale our understanding of locality and its potential. Looking at specific ISPs, we consider tens of thousands of concurrent torrents, and thus capture ISP-wide implications that cannot be appreciated by looking at only a handful of torrents. Secondly, we go beyond individual case studies and present results for the top 100 ISPs in terms of number of users represented in our dataset of up to 40K torrents involving more than 3.9M concurrent peers and more than 20M in the course of a day spread in 11K ASes. We develop scalable methodologies that permit us to process this huge dataset and answer questions such as: ``what is the minimum and the maximum transit traffic reduction across hundreds of ISPs?'', ``what are the win-win boundaries for ISPs and their users?'', ``what is the maximum amount of transit traffic that can be localized without requiring fine-grained control of inter-AS overlay connections?'', ``what is the impact to transit traffic from upgrades of residential broadband speeds?''.

Short Bio: Nikolaos Laoutaris is a senior researcher at the Internet research group of Telefonica Research in Barcelona. Prior to joining the Barcelona lab he was a postdoc fellow at Harvard University and a Marie Curie postdoc fellow at Boston University. He got his PhD in computer science from the University of Athens in 2004. His general research interests are on system, algorithmic, and performance evaluation aspects of computer networks and distributed systems with emphasis on content distribution, overlay networks, P2P, and multimedia communications. Current projects include: Delay Tolerant Bulk (DTB) transfers on the Internet, energy-efficient distributed system design, and overlay routing.

Host: Azer Bestavros