[NRG] Talk by Giovanni Neglia on Distributed Sub-gradient Method for Delay Tolerant Networks [Fri 10/29 @ 11:00]

Matta, Abraham I matta at bu.edu
Mon Oct 25 11:48:01 EDT 2010

Distributed Sub-gradient Method for Delay Tolerant Networks
Friday October 29, 2010
11:00am-12:00pm
MCS-137

Speaker: Giovanni Neglia
http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Giovanni.Neglia/

Abstract:
In this talk we consider that nodes in a Delay Tolerant Network (DTN) may collaborate to minimize the sum of local objective functions, depending in general on some parameters or actions of all the nodes in the network. If the local objective functions are convex, one can adopt a recently proposed computation framework that relies on local sub-gradient methods and consensus algorithms to average each node's information. Existing convergence results for this framework can be applied to DTNs only in the case of synchronous node operation and simple memory-less mobility models. We address both these issues. First, we prove convergence to the optimal solution for a more general class of mobility processes. Second, we show that, under asynchronous operation, a straightforward application of the original method would lead to sub-optimal solutions and we propose some modifications to solve this problem. As a particular case study, we show how the framework can be applied to optimize the dissemination of dynamic content in a DTN.

Speaker Bio:

Since September 2008, Giovanni Neglia is a researcher (Chargée de Recherche) at INRIA Sophia Antipolis Méditerranée. He received a master's degree in electronic engineering and a Ph.D. degree in telecommunications from the University of Palermo, Italy, in 2001 and 2005, respectively. After having spent 9 months as a research scholar in the computer networks group at University of Massachusetts, he became a postdoc at University of Palermo, and since September 2006 he was also an external scientific collaborator in Maestro team at INRIA. His research focuses on modeling and performance evaluation of computer networks and proposals of new mechanisms to improve their performance.
====