[NRG] Practice talk on Tuesday 11/23

Gonca Gürsun goncag at cs.bu.edu
Fri Nov 19 15:33:24 EST 2010

Hi all,

I would like to give a practice talk on next Tuesday at 4pm for our
paper I will be presenting in CoNext soon. Your feedback and comments
will be very much appreciated. I am posting the abstract below.

Thanks,
--gonca

Inferring Invisible Traffic

A traffic matrix encompassing the entire Internet would be very
valuable. Unfortunately, from any given vantage point in the network,
most traffic is invisible. In this paper we describe results that hold
some promise for this problem. First, we show a new characterization
result: traffic matrices (TMs) typically show very low effective rank.
This result refers to TMs that are purely spatial (have no temporal
component), over a wide range of spatial granularities. Next, we
define an inference problem whose solution allows one to infer
invisible TM elements. This problem relies crucially on an atomicity
property we define. Finally, we show example solutions of this
inference problem via two different methods: regularized regression
and matrix completion. The example consists of an AS inferring the
amount of invisible traffic passing between other pairs of ASes. Using
this example we illustrate the accuracy of the methods as a function
of spatial granularity.