[NRG] Talk on "Scaling Online Social Networks"

John Byers byers at cs.bu.edu
Tue Jun 15 15:21:37 EDT 2010

Josep Pujol from Telefonica will be presenting his upcoming SIGCOMM paper
(co-authored with several BU-CS alumni) on Mon, 6/15 @ 10:30AM in the grad
lounge. Hope to see many of you there.

-- John

Abstract:
------------

The Little Engine(s) that could: Scaling Online Social Networks

The difficulty of partitioning social graphs has introduced new system
design challenges for scaling
of Online Social Networks (OSNs). Vertical scaling by resorting to full
replication can be a costly proposition.
Scaling horizontally by partitioning and distributing data among
multiple servers using, for e.g., key-value stores
using DHTs, can suffer from expensive inter-server communication and
other performance issues.
Such challenges have often led to costly re-architecting efforts for
popular OSNs like Twitter and Facebook.

We design, implement, and evaluate SPAR, a Social Partitioning and
Replication middle-ware that
mediates between the application and the database layer of an OSN. SPAR
exploits the
underlying social graph structure to partition user data and selectively
replicate users to ensure that
users have their neighbors’ data co-located on their machine. The gains
from this are multi-fold: application
developers can assume local semantics, i.e., develop as they would for a
single machine; scalability is achieved by
adding commodity machines with low memory and network I/O requirements;
and N+K redundancy is achieved
at a fraction of the cost.

We provide a complete system design, extensive evaluation based on
datasets from Twitter, Orkut, and Facebook, and
a working implementation. We show that SPAR performs well in terms of
reducing the overhead, and dealing with
high dynamics experienced by an OSN gracefully. We implement a Twitter
like application
and evaluate SPAR with MySQL and Cassandra using real datasets
and show significant gains in terms of req/s and reduction in network
traffic.

Bio:
-----

Josep M. Pujol is a member of the Telefonica Research Labs in Barcelona
http://research.tid.es/ working on the intersection of social networks,
search and system scalability. Prior to Telefonica he was a post-doc at
the University of Michigan affiliated to the Center for the Study of
Complex Systems and the Department of Epidemiology where he worked on
modeling infection transmission and dose-response models. Josep earned
the PhD from the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya with his
dissertation on the effects of social structure in artificial societies.
Further information is available at http://research.tid.es/jmps/