[Nrg-l] FW: CS Colloquium: Googling the Internet (and Beyond); Feb. 26 @ 2pm

Matta, Abraham I matta at cs.bu.edu
Thu Feb 26 11:23:11 EST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: cs-faculty-bounces at cs.bu.edu [mailto:cs-faculty-bounces at cs.bu.edu]
On Behalf Of Matta, Abraham I
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:05 PM
To: colloq-l at cs.bu.edu
Subject: CS Colloquium: Googling the Internet (and Beyond); Feb. 26 @
2pm

Computer Science Department Colloquium

Title: Googling the Internet (and Beyond)

Speaker: Prof. Aleksandar Kuzmanovic
Speaker Affiliation: Northwestern University
Host: Prof. Ibrahim Matta

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009
Time: 2:00 - 3:00 PM
Location: 111 Cummington St, MCS 135

Abstract:

In this talk, accessible to everyone, I will present ongoing research
projects from the Northwestern Networks Group. In the first part of the
talk, I will explain why we still work on TCP congestion control
problems in the year 2009, and I will present our recent results which
question the need for the exponential backoff mechanism in TCP. Next, I
will talk about the vulnerability of large-scale DNS-driven streaming
networks to denial-of-service attacks. I will explain how it is possible
to 'jam' live streams in a large-scale streaming network by effectively
provoking resource bottlenecks at different levels of a multicast
hierarchy. In the second part of the talk, I will present our "Googling
the Internet" project and explain how you can use search engines to
accurately classify Internet endpoints. Finally, I will present our
initial efforts on designing and implementing an Internet-wide identity
validation system.

Bio:

Aleksandar Kuzmanovic is an Assistant Professor in the EECS Department
at Northwestern University. His research interests are in the area of
computer networking with emphasis on design, measurements, analysis,
denial-of-service resiliency, and prototype implementation of protocols
and algorithms for the Internet. He joined the Northwestern faculty in
2005 after receiving a Ph.D. in electrical and computer engineering from
Rice University, under the direction of Prof. Ed Knightly. He received
the NSF CAREER award in 2008.