[Nrg-l] NRG Presentation: March/2/2009

Jorge Londono jmlon at cs.bu.edu
Thu Feb 26 10:46:35 EST 2009

Speaker: Andrej Cvetkovski

Title: Hyperbolic Embedding and Routing for Dynamic Graphs

Abstract:
We propose an embedding and routing scheme for arbitrary network
connectivity graphs, based on greedy routing and utilizing virtual node
coordinates. In dynamic multihop packet-switching communication
networks, routing elements can join or leave during network operation or
exhibit intermittent failures. We present an algorithm for online greedy
graph embedding in the hyperbolic plane that enables incremental
embedding of network nodes as they join the network, without disturbing
the global embedding. Even a single link or node removal may invalidate
the greedy routing success guarantees in network embeddings based on an
embedded spanning tree sub- graph. As an alternative to frequent
reembedding of temporally dynamic network graphs in order to retain the
greedy embedding property, we propose a simple but robust generalization
of greedy distance routing called Gravity–Pressure (GP) routing. Our
routing method always succeeds in finding a route to the destination
provided that a path exists, even if a significant fraction of links or
nodes is removed subsequent to the embedding. GP routing does not
require precomputation or maintenance of special spanning subgraphs and,
as demonstrated by our numerical evaluation, is particularly suitable
for operation in tandem with our proposed algorithm for online graph
embedding.

Time and place:
4:00pm - Grad Lounge

See you there,