[Nrg-l] NRG Presentation: Feb/23/2009 - 4:00pm

Jorge Londono jmlon at cs.bu.edu
Thu Feb 19 09:50:20 EST 2009

Invited speaker: Dave Plonka - U. Wisconsin-Madison

Title: Context-aware Clustering of DNS Query Traffic

Abstract:

   The Domain Name System (DNS) is a one of the most widely used
   services in the Internet.  In this talk, we consider the question
   of how DNS traffic monitoring can provide an important and useful
   perspective on network traffic in an enterprise.  We approach this
   problem by considering three classes of DNS traffic: canonical
   (i.e., RFC-intended behaviors), overloaded (e.g., black-list
   services), and unwanted (i.e., queries that will never succeed).
   We describe a context-aware clustering methodology that is
   applied to DNS query-responses to generate the desired aggregates.
   Our method enables the analysis to be scaled to expose the desired
   level of detail of each traffic type, and to expose their time
   varying characteristics.

   We implement our method in a tool we call TreeTop, which can be used
   to analyze and visualize DNS traffic in real-time.  We demonstrate
   the capabilities of our methodology and the utility of TreeTop
   using a set of DNS traces that we collected from our campus network
   over a period of three months.  Our evaluation highlights both the
   coarse and fine level of detail that can be revealed by our method.
   Finally, we show how DNS analysis can be coupled with general
   network traffic monitoring to provide a useful perspective for
   network management and operations.

Paper pointer:
http://portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=1452547&type=pdf&coll=portal&dl=ACM

Time and Place: