[Nrg-l] Reminder NRG Presentation: Feb/9/2009 - Monday

Jorge Londoño jmlon at cs.bu.edu
Sun Feb 8 22:30:48 EST 2009

*Speaker:* Vatche Ishakian

*Title:*
Ispy: detecting ip prefix hijacking on my own
Z. Zhang, Y. Zhang, Y. Hu, Z. Mao, and R. Bush

*Abstract:* IP prefix hijacking remains a major threat to the security
of the Internet routing system due to a lack of authoritative prefix
ownership information. Despite many efforts in designing IP prefix
hijack detection schemes, no existing design can satisfy all the
critical requirements of a truly effective system: real-time, accurate,
light-weight, easily and incrementally deployable, as well as robust in
victim notification. In this paper, we present a novel approach that
fulfills all these goals by monitoring network reachability from key
external transit networks to one's own network through lightweight
prefix-owner-based active probing. Using the prefix-owner's view of
reachability, our detection system, iSPY, can differentiate between IP
prefix hijacking and network failures based on the observation that
hijacking is likely to result in topologically more diverse polluted
networks and unreachability. Through detailed simulations of Internet
routing, 25-day deployment in 88 ASes (108 prefixes), and experiments
with hijacking events of our own prefix from multiple locations, we
demonstrate that iSPY is accurate with false negative ratio below 0.45%
and false positive ratio below 0.17%. Furthermore, iSPY is truly
real-time; it can detect hijacking events within a few minutes.
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1402946.1402996

*Place and time:*
Grad lounge, 4pm