[Nrg-l] Reminder: NRG Presentation Today

Jorge Londoño jmlon at cs.bu.edu
Mon Feb 2 08:44:35 EST 2009

*Place and time:
*Graduate lounge, 4:00pm*

Title:*
A Two-Tiered On-Line Server-Side Bandwidth Reservation Framework for the
Real-Time Delivery of Multiple Video Streams

*Authors:*
Jorge M. Londoño and Azer Bestavros

*Abstract:*
The advent of virtualization and cloud computing technologies
necessitates the development of effective mechanisms for the estimation
and reservation of resources needed by content providers to deliver
large numbers of video-on-demand (VOD) streams through the cloud.
Unfortunately, capacity planning for the QoS-constrained delivery of a
large number of VOD streams is inherently difficult as VBR encoding
schemes exhibit significant bandwidth variability.  In this paper, we
present a novel resource management scheme to make such allocation
decisions using a mixture of per-stream reservations and an aggregate
reservation, shared across all streams to accommodate peak demands.  The
shared reservation provides capacity slack that enables statistical
multiplexing of peak rates, while assuring analytically bounded
frame-drop probabilities, which can be adjusted by trading off buffer
space (and consequently delay) and
  bandwidth.  Our two-tiered bandwidth allocation scheme enables the
delivery of any set of streams with less bandwidth (or equivalently with
higher link utilization) than state-of-the-art deterministic smoothing
approaches. The algorithm underlying our proposed framework uses three
per-stream parameters and is linear in the number of servers, making it
particularly well suited for use in an on-line setting.  We present
results from extensive trace-driven simulations, which confirm the
efficiency of our scheme especially for small buffer sizes and delay
bounds, and which underscore the significant realizable bandwidth
savings, typically yielding losses that are an order of magnitude or
more below our analytically  derived bounds.

*Link to the paper: *
http://cs-people.bu.edu/jmlon/publications/mmcn09.pdf

Jorge