[Nrg-l] Game Theory Seminar - Monday Sep 29 @ 2:30 - 3:00pm

Jorge Londono jmlon at cs.bu.edu
Wed Sep 24 11:57:25 EDT 2008

Hi,

Ray will be presenting a paper in the game theory seminar which might be
interesting to you.
The papers is "BitTorrent is an Auction"
http://ccr.sigcomm.org/online/?q=node/393 appeared in Sigcomm08
Time: Monday 29 Sept. 2:30 till 3:00 pm
Location : 135 MCS

Abstract

Incentives play a crucial role in BitTorrent, motivating users to upload
to others to achieve fast download times for all peers. Though long
believed to be robust to strategic manipulation, recent work has
empirically shown that BitTorrent does not provide its users incentive
to follow the protocol. We propose an auction-based model to study and
improve upon BitTorrent’s incentives. The insight behind our model is
that BitTorrent uses, not tit-for-tat as widely believed, but an auction
to decide which peers to serve. Our model not only captures known,
performance-improving strategies, it shapes our thinking toward new,
effective strategies. For example, our analysis demonstrates,
counter-intuitively, that BitTorrent peers have incentive to
intelligently under-report what pieces of the file they have to their
neighbors. We implement and evaluate a modification to BitTorrent in
which peers reward one another with proportional shares of bandwidth.
Within our game-theoretic model, we prove that a proportional-share
client is strategy-proof. With experiments on PlanetLab, a local
cluster, and live downloads, we show that a proportional-share unchoker
yields faster downloads against BitTorrent and BitTyrant clients, and
that underreporting pieces yields prolonged neighbor interest.