[Nrg-l] BU/CS Colloquium by Aaron Striegel: March 26, 2008

Azer Bestavros best at cs.bu.edu
Mon Mar 17 13:00:33 EDT 2008

Boston University
Computer Science Colloquium Series

   Title: Scalable Centralized Content Distribution Control
          via Application-Agnostic Bandwidth Conservation

 Speaker: Aaron Striegel
          University of Notre Dame
          http://www.nd.edu/~striegel

    When: Wednesday March 26, 2008 @ 11:00am

   Where: MCS-135
          http://www.cs.bu.edu/contactus/directions.shtml

Abstract:

The centralized approach to content distribution has long been the
exclusive purview of resource-rich content providers (Google, eBay,
etc.) or the mark of unpopular content. Despite its allure with regards
to content customization or sensitive user data safeguarding, content
providers typically employ content distribution networks (CDNs) to meet
their scaling and performance needs. The mutual exclusion of
centralization and scalability is nearly unquestioned dogma, i.e.
distributed schemes despite their complexity are nearly always better.

In this talk, I will give an overview of our work on transparent
bandwidth conservation which shows that centralization and scalability
are possible without application-specific proxying. Our work,
encapsulated in the ScaleBox architecture, operates transparently to the
client and network core offering scalable, centralized content
distribution in the current Internet. To provide its performance,
ScaleBox blends the novel contributions of stealth multicast, enhanced
packet caching and TCP acceleration in an application-agnostic manner.
In this talk, I will focus in particular on the enhanced packet caching
and TCP performance aspects through the dual lenses of increasing
network pipe elasticity and accelerating conservation-friendly network
flows. The talk will conclude with discussions of experimental /
simulation studies, network tap analyses, and future research directions
for this work.

Biography:

Dr. Aaron Striegel is currently an assistant professor in the Department
of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Notre Dame. He
received his Ph.D. in December 2002 in Computer Engineering at Iowa
State University under the direction of Dr. G. Manimaran. His research
interests include networking (content distribution, QoS), computer
security, and real-time systems. He has received research and equipment
funding from NSF, DARPA, Sun Microsystems, Hewlett Packard, Architecture
Technology Corporation, and Intel. Dr. Striegel was the recipient of an
NSF CAREER award in 2004.