[Nrg-l] PhD Proposal Defense: Michael Ocean (Fri 2/29 @ 11am)

Azer Bestavros best at cs.bu.edu
Fri Feb 29 09:50:35 EST 2008

Reminder: In just about one hour...

--Azer

PHD THESIS PROPOSAL DEFENSE

Computer Science Department
Boston University

Date: Friday February 29, 2008
Time: 11:00am
Place: Room MCS 135, 111 Cummington Street

snBench: Towards Modular, Functional Specification, Verification and
Development of Sensor Network Services

Michael Ocean

Abstract:

As the commoditization of sensors and actuators continues so does the
opportunity for increased Sensor Network (SN) deployments. Despite the
documented benefits of augmenting a variety of environments with SNs,
widespread adoption of SNs has yet to occur. While various solutions
have emerged to many individual SN-centric challenges (e.g., power
management, communication protocols, role assignment, code
dissemination, content-aware addressing) perhaps the largest obstacle to
widespread SN deployment is that those who wish to deploy and maintain a
SN lack the programming and systems expertise to do so. Many works have
emerged to provide reusable run-time components and programmatic
abstractions to ease SN development and deployment; these works
underscore the challenge of providing a system that is accessible to
novices without rendering the system powerless by over-simplification.

As it is impossible to find a one-size-fits-all interface, we instead
recognize the value in tiered layers of abstraction to enable a variety
of high-level domain specific languages to be compiled to a common
(``narrow waist'') tasking language. This thin-waist tasking language
can in turn be re-translated to a variety of hardware platforms. The
goal of this thesis work is to provide (1) a common, SN tasking language
(Instruction Set Architecture) powerful enough to express complex SN
services while simple enough to be implemented on highly constrained
resources with predictable (soft) real-time execution, (2) a modular,
resource-aware SN run-time execution infrastructure, (3) a prototype
high-level language and compiler to illustrate the utility of the
tasking language, and (4) a type system to provide static verification
of program safety and the production of resource constraints. In this
talk I will present the guiding principles, salient features, and novel
components of this work. I will discus our current progress on this
path, and a road map for the work that is yet to be completed.

PhD Thesis Committee:

- Azer Bestavros
- Assaf Kfoury
- Ibrahim Matta