[Nrg-l] Reminder *** TODAY *** Colloquium - Wednesday Dec 3 @ 9:30-11:00am

Jorge Londoño jmlon at cs.bu.edu
Wed Dec 3 08:04:19 EST 2008

Greening the Internet with Nano Data Centers

Christophe Diot
Corporate Research CTO, Director of the Paris Research Lab Thomson

Nano data centers (www.nanodatacenters.eu) are radical solution to data
hosting and delivery for the Internet. The current data delivery
architecture is network centric, with content stored in data centers
connected directly to Internet backbones. This approach has multiple
drawbacks among which complexity of deploying data centers, power
consumption, and lack of scalability are the most critical.
We propose a totally innovative and
orthogonal approach to traditional data centers, through what we call
"nano" data centers, which are deployed in boxes at the edge of the
network (e.g., in home gateways, set-top-boxes, etc.) and accessed using
a peer-to-peer communication infrastructure. Unlike traditional
peer-to-peer clients, however, our nano data centers operate under a
common management authority, e.g., the ISP who installs and maintains
the home boxes, and can thus cooperate more effectively and achieve a
higher aggregate performance. Nano data centers are, therefore, better
suited for providing guaranteed quality to new emerging applications
such as online gaming, interactive IPTV and VoD, and user generated content.

We present Nano Data Centers (NaDa). We discuss energy and cost benefits
of NaDa using real data collected at a major ISP (for traffic, topology,
and workload) and on various home gateway, VoD and IPTV equipments (for
power). We illustrate feasibility with push-to-peer, a new approach for
Video on Demand delivery on NaDa.