[Nrg-l] BU/CS Colloquium by Nikos Laoutaris: Tuesday August 26, 2008

Azer Bestavros best at cs.bu.edu
Mon Aug 25 17:35:28 EDT 2008

Boston University
Computer Science Colloquium Series

   Title: Delay Tolerant Bulk Data Transfers on the Internet
          or how to book some terabytes on "red-eye" bandwidth *

 Speaker: Nikolaos Laoutaris
          Telefonica Research
          http://research.tid.es/nikos/

    Host: Azer Bestavros

    When: Tuesday August 26, 2008 @ 11:00am

   Where: MCS-135
          http://www.cs.bu.edu/contactus/directions.shtml

Abstract:

Many emerging scientific and industrial applications require the
capability to transfer large quantities of data, ranging from tens of
terabytes to petabytes. Examples include the transport of high
definition movies between studios and theaters, and the transport of
large quantities of data from telescopes and particle
accelerators/colliders to laboratories all around the world. A
convenient property of many of these applications is their ability to
tolerate delivery delays from a few hours to a few days. Such
Delay-Tolerant Bulk (DTB) transfers are currently being serviced through
the use of the postal system to transport hard drives and DVDs, or
though the use of expensive dedicated networks.

In this work we have used traffic data from 200+ links of a large
transit ISP to show that the naive approach of using end-to-end (E2E)
connection oriented transfers can be prohibitively expensive under
widely used 95-percentile
charging schemes. We have also conducted extensive live measurements
across multiple ISPs to show that the available bandwidth of E2E
connections is subject to time-of-day effects.

Based on these observations, we proceed to design a system for
performing Store-and-Forward transfer of DTB data. We evaluate the
performance of our system under two scenarios: (1) 95-percentile
charging, (2) flat-rate charging under
time-of-day capacity constraints.

About the Speaker:

Nikolaos Laoutaris is a research scientist at Telefonica Research,
Barcelona. Prior to that he was a postdoc fellow at Harvard University
and a Marie Curie postdoc fellow at Boston University. He holds a Ph.D.
degree in Computer Science from the University of Athens, Greece (2004).
His main research interests go into algorithmic and the performance
evaluation issues of content distribution networks, overlay routing
systems, peer-to-peer networks, and multimedia streaming systems.

* This talk is based on joint work with: Hitesh Ballani (Cornell), Pablo
Rodriguez (Telefonica Research), Georgios Smaragdakis (BU), and Ravi
Sundaram (Northeastern).