[Nrg-l] BU/CS Colloquium by Pietro Michiardi: Thursday April 10, 2008

Azer Bestavros best at cs.bu.edu
Wed Apr 9 21:14:04 EDT 2008

Boston University
Computer Science Colloquium Series

   Title: Characterizing User Mobility in Second Life

 Speaker: Pietro Michiardi
          Assistant Professor
          Institut Eurecom, Networking and Security Department
          http://www.eurecom.fr/~michiard/

    When: Thursday April 10, 2008 @ 11:00am

   Where: MCS-135
          http://www.cs.bu.edu/contactus/directions.shtml

Abstract:

In this work we present a measurement study of user mobility
in Second Life. We first discuss different techniques to
collect user traces and then focus on results obtained using a
crawler that we built. Tempted by the question whether our
methodology could provide similar results to those obtained
in real-world experiments, we study the statistical distribution
of user contacts and show that from a qualitative point
of view user mobility in Second Life presents similar traits
to those of real humans. We further push our analysis to
line of sight networks that emerge from user interaction and
show that they are highly clustered. Lastly, we focus on the
spatial properties of user movements and observe that users
in Second Life revolve around several point of interests traveling
in general short distances. Besides our findings, the
traces collected in this work can be very useful for trace driven
simulations of communication schemes in delay tolerant
networks and their performance evaluation.

Short Bio:

Pietro Michiardi received his M.S. in Communication Systems in 1999
from Institut Eurecom and his M.S. in Electrical Engineering from
"Politecnico di Torino" in 2001. In September 2001 Pietro joined
"Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications" (ENST, Paris) as a
Ph.D. student working on network security for mobile, wireless
multi-hop networks. During his Ph.D. Pietro worked in the Network
Security Team at Institut Eurecom focusing on topics ranging from game
theoretic models of multi-hop networks to trust and reputation
establishment schemes and identity-based cryptographic techniques. He
obtained his Ph.D. in December 2004. Since January 2005, Pietro is an
Assistant Professor in the Networking department, working on
distributed systems and algorithms.