[Nrg-l] Area Oral Exam of George Smaragdakis: TODAY @ 1pm

Azer Bestavros best at cs.bu.edu
Wed Oct 31 10:47:47 EDT 2007

PHD AREA ORAL EXAM

Computer Science Department
Boston University

Date: Wednesday October 31, 2007
Time: 1:00pm
Place: Room MCS 135, 111 Cummington Street

Resource allocation strategies for scalable content delivery on the
Internet

George Smaragdakis

Abstract:

The Internet architecture was not originally designed to facilitate
scalable content distribution. As a result, the explosive growth of
Internet content distribution overlays and applications posed new
challenges to overlay network design and maintenance, involving many
entities with different perspectives and possibly conflicting objectives
-- namely content producers, consumers, and distributors. In this
presentation, I will survey methodologies that have been developed to
facilitate scalable content distribution from these three perspectives.

To that end, I will present a taxonomy that classifies the approaches
taken along three dimensions: (1) The resources allocated by entities to
facilitate content distribution, namely storage and connectivity; (2)
The scope of the optimization process underscoring the allocation of
resources, namely greedy, strategic, and altruistic; and (3) The degree
of knowledge assumed about the setting, namely whether it is global or
partial. Along these lines, I will review the key literature in content
replication and caching, as well as in peer-to-peer network formation,
highlighting promising game-theoretic-inspired approaches that better
model the interaction between different entities.

Examination Committee:

Azer Bestavros
John Byers
Ibrahim Matta