[Nrg-l] Remainder - November 5 @ 3pm

Jorge Londoño jmlon at cs.bu.edu
Sun Nov 4 20:51:54 EST 2007

This Monday we will have two work-in-progress presentations:

1).
Sowmya Manjanatha
Active Location Verification Using RF Jamming
*Abstract:*
Radio Frequency (RF) interference is generally considered a nuisance in
wireless networks. RF jamming is an interference generated by an
``attacker'' that causes a genuine wireless signal to decrease its
Signal-to-Noise ratio almost canceling at the receiver.  In this paper,
we argue  RF jamming could be used beneficially to solve the problem of
in-region location verification.  Specifically, we exploit the property
that signals can only be jammed within the intersection of the ranges of
multiple transmitters, and propose a solution based on a framework that
strategically superimposes multiple in-phase RF signals over a space --
a process we call {\em healthy jamming}.  The jammers are deployed such
that the area to be protected forms intersection regions. The
verification process involves generating jammed signals and verifying
that a node claiming to be in the non-intersection region correctly
recognizes a clean (not affected by interference) signal.  Our design
approach leverages the unique characteristics of signal interference to
reliably determine the trust-worthiness of a node. Our approach has the
advantage that the provers are passive listeners as opposed to the
currently prevailing
philosophy of provers being active.  In doing so, our approach naturally
eliminates the threats caused by provers with powerful equipment such as
directional antennas. We verify robustness and determine the performance
bounds of the proposed solution through detailed analysis.

2).
Marisa Affonso Vasconcelos
Extracting Location from Contact Traces
*Abstract:*

Localization of nodes is essential for many applications. Sensor
networks, routing in mobile environments as well as caching can benefit
by having this extra information. Applications dealing with emergencies
and rescue operations need precise and accurate localization
information.   Many node localization techniques have been proposed, but
most of them lack in some feature (non-convex areas, non symmetric
communication, other types of constraints, etc) that will be desirable
to have.   For example, some of the techniques requires special hardware
or are only effective when the nodes are close to nodes whose location
is known a priori. Sextant is one such solution which seeks to
incorporate most of the desirable features. It is a constraint --based
framework which relies on connectivity information.

The novel aspect of Sextant is that it relies on positive as well as
negative spatial constraints. Positive constraints are based on the
reception of a beacon from a nearby node. If a node cannot receive
direct transmissions from another node, this constitutes a negative
constraint. However, Sextant and the other techniques do not give us
accurate localization estimates if we incorporate mobility of nodes.
Although, mobility brings us several issues, we believe that mobility
can offer us extra information to improve our estimations.  In this
talk, I hope to review Sextant as well as recent work we have been
pursuing in incorporating mobility.

Jorge