[Nrg-l] CS-CISE Colloquium by Erol Gelenbe on Cognitive Network (Wed July 11 at 2:00pm)

Abraham Matta matta at cs.bu.edu
Tue Jun 12 10:49:12 EDT 2007

COLLOQUIUM
Computer Science Department &
the Center for Information and Systems Engineering (CISE)
Boston University

Date: Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Time: 2:00pm
Place: Room MCS 135, 111 Cummington Street
       (for directions, see www.cs.bu.edu/colloquium)

The Cognitive Packet Network (CPN): An Autonomic QoS Driven Routing Protocol
http://san.ee.ic.ac.uk

Erol Gelenbe
Professor in the Dennis Gabor Chair
Imperial College London
e.gelenbe AT imperial.ac.uk

Abstract: Autonomic communications [1] are meant to offer adaptive, optimized and opportunistic  services to network users, based on user requests (such as QoS needs) and on information that can be  gathered on-line about available resources. At the beginning of our seminar we will provide theoretical  results to show that such services can be effective. First we will prove that "sensible" routing  policies based on local information are better than non-informed random policies [2]. Secondly we will  show that it is possible to travel from source to destination even when the routing direction at each  step may be incorrect [3]. Then we will present the CPN protocol [4]  for QoS driven autonomic routing,  and illustrate its performance with numerous measurements from a wired test-bed and from an ad-hoc  network implementation [5,6].

Brief Bio: Erol Gelenbe has previously held chaired professorships in Belgium and France, at Duke  University and at the University of Central Florida. One of the pioneers of the field of computer and  network performance evaluation, he has contributed several firsts in the field of networks, including  the first performance evaluation of link control and window protocols, the first optimal control of  random access protocols, the first implementation of an ALHOA-like fibre optics network, and the design  of the first packetized telephone switch architecture. He is Fellow of IEEE, ACM, and IEE, a Member of  Academia Europaea, has received several honorary doctorates and research awards in France, Belgium,  Turkey and Italy. He is a Commandatore of the Republic of Italy, and an Officier du Mérite of France.