[Nrg-l] John Day's Talk 27th March

Vijay Erramilli evijay at cs.bu.edu
Fri Mar 24 18:23:57 EST 2006

Hi All,

Pleased to announce that we have an external guest speaker- John Day
for the next NRG talk.

He will be talking on " Networking is IPC and Only IPC"

When: 27th March, Monday, 2006
Where: Grad.  Lounge, Research Lab

The abstract and bio follow.

Hope you can make it for this interesting talk,

Vijay

http://www.cs.bu.edu/groups/nrg/schedule.html

Abstract:
It is interesting how sometimes a subject you think you know wel
reveals new insights.  Taking our example from Lakatos' Proofs and
Refutations, you are invited on a little exercise into a subject we all
know:  Interprocess Communication in a single Operating System.
Starting here, we will then consider what happens when with each step as
we add new requirements for IPC between two computers, two more than one
instance of IPC, to N computers and finally N computers on the cheap. We
will consider how each step invalidates some assumptions or requires
additional mechanisms.  It is interesting to note when certain things
appear. But what is really remarkable are the insights it brings to our
concepts of network architecture. Insights that affect our concept of
layers and what goes in them with implications for all aspects of
networking including security, mobility, routing, etc.

Speaker Bio:

John Day has been involved in research and development of computer
networks since 1970 when he was involved in the design of transport and
upper layer protocols for the ARPANet as well as the Internet.  Mr. Day
has developed and designed protocols for everything from the data link
layer to the application layer.

Mr. Day has made fundamental contributions to research on distributed
databases developing one of two fundamental algorithms in the updating
of multiple copies. He also did work on the early development of
supercomputers and was a member of a team in writing 3 operating
systems.  Mr. Day was in charge of the development of the OSI Reference
Model, Naming and Addressing and upper layer architecture and is
currently a member of the Internet Research Task Force's Name Space
Research Group.