[Nrg-l] NRG Talk: 20March 2006

Vijay Erramilli evijay at cs.bu.edu
Sun Mar 19 17:54:37 EST 2006

Hi all,

Extremely sorry for the late announcement, but Jorge
will be presenting the following paper tomorrow(Monday) at NRG:

"Tomography based Overlay Network Monitoring"
-Yan Chen, David Bindel and Randy H. Katz
The paper appeared at IMC 2003.

When: 5:00PM, 20 March Monday 2006
Where: Grad Lounge, Research Lab

The abstract and link to the paper follow.
Hope all of you can make it,

Vijay

http://www.cs.bu.edu/groups/nrg/schedule.html

Abstract:

Overlay network monitoring enables distributed Internet ap-
plications to detect and recover from path outages and peri-
ods of degraded performance within seconds. For an overlay
network with n end hosts, existing systems either require
O(n2) measurements, and thus lack scalability, or can only
estimate the latency but not congestion or failures. Unlike
other network tomography systems, we characterize end-to-
end losses (this extends to any additive metrics, including
latency) rather than individual link losses. We  nd a mini-
mal basis set of k linearly independent paths that can fully
describe all the O(n2) paths. We selectively monitor and
measure the loss rates of these paths, then apply them to es-
timate the loss rates of all other paths. By extensively study-
ing synthetic and real topologies, we  nd that for reasonably
large n (e.g., 100), k is only in the range of O(n log n). This
is explained by the moderately hierarchical nature of Inter-
net routing.
Our scheme only assumes the knowledge of underlying IP
topology, and any link can become lossy or return to normal.
In addition, our technique is tolerant to topology measure-
ment inaccuracies, and is adaptive to topology changes.

http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~ychen/Papers/imc03.pdf