[Nrg-l] Azer's Talk@March 13 2006

Vijay Erramilli evijay at cs.bu.edu
Fri Mar 10 19:20:31 EST 2006

Hi All,

We are happy to announce that  Azer will be giving a talk on

"Typed Representation and Analysis of Network Flows for Scalable
and Practical Interoperability Checks"

Based on the paper:
Azer Bestavros, Adam Bradley, Assaf Kfoury, and Ibrahim Matta. Typed
Abstraction of Complex Network Compositions. In Proceedings of ICNP'05:
The 13th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, Boston, MA,
November 2005.

Unofficial Title:
"How to (and why sometimes we have to) judge a book by its cover"

Where: Grad Lounge, Research Lab
When: 5:00 PM, Monday Mar 13, 2006

Please do check out the demo at the link given below and
hope to see everyone at this interesting talk,

Vijay

Abstract:
The heterogeneity and open nature of networked systems make analysis of
compositions of components quite challenging, consequently making the
design and implementation of robust network services largely
inaccessible to average network architects and network application
programmers. In this talk I will overview a novel type system and
associated type spaces, which constitute accessible representations of
the results and conclusions that are derivable using complex
compositional theories. These representations allow a networking system
architect or programmer to be exposed only to the inputs and output of
compositional analysis without having to be familiar with the ins and
outs of its internals. Toward this end, I will present the TRAFFIC
(Typed Representation and Analysis of network Flows For Interoperability
Checks) framework, a simple flow-composition and typing language with
corresponding type system. Next, I will discuss and demonstrate the
expressive power of a type space for TRAFFIC derived from the network
calculus, which allows us to reason about and infer such properties as
data arrival, transit, and loss rates in large composite network
applications. The TRAFFIC compositional analysis framework will be put
in action using a prototype implementation of a type checking and
inference engine, which is available for demonstration purposes using a
web interface.

Type:
Let x={http://www.cs.bu.edu/~best/res/papers/icnp05.pdf} in {Let
y={http://cs-people.bu.edu/yarom/ibench/traffic/index.php} in {((x||y);
NRG);(((x; PowerPoint; AdamSpin; IbrahimSpin) || y); AzerSpin)}}

http://www.cs.bu.edu/groups/nrg/schedule.html