[Nrg-l] NRG - Monday January 31

Vijay Erramilli evijay at cs.bu.edu
Fri Jan 27 20:42:53 EST 2006

Hi All,

George will be presenting a couple of interesting papers on

"Selfish Network Creation Games for the Internet"

http://www.cs.bu.edu/groups/nrg/new_site/schedule.html

When: 31 Jan, Monday, 4 PM
Where: Grad Lounge, Research Lab

The abstract and relevant links follow.

Cheers,
Vijay

"Selfish Network Creation Games for the Internet"
Abstract:
---------
The Internet is the first computational artifact that was not designed
by one economic agent, but emerged from the spontaneous and selfish
pursuits of many agents. In this presentation, we initiate the
discussion
on Selfish Network Creation Games for the Internet: games that model
the creation
of Internet-like networks by selfish node-agents without central
design or
cooperation. After presenting the structure, terminology and the
outcome of such a game for its players [1], we discuss the
characteristics
(performance, resilience and topology) of networks created by more
realistic Selfish Creation Games [2]. We will conclude discussing
possible
research directions.

[1] "On a Network Creation Game"
     Fabrikant, A., A. Luthra, E. Maneva, C. H. Papadimitriou, and
     S. Shenker.    PODC 2003.
(http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~berj/on_a_network_creation_game.pdf)

[2] "Characterizing Selfishly Constructed Overlay Routing Networks"
     Byung-Gon Chun, Rodrigo Fonseca, Ion Stoica and John Kubiatowicz
     Infocom 2004.
     (http://www.ieee-infocom.org/2004/Papers/28_4.PDF)