[Nrg-l] NRG Resumes: 23 Jan 2006

Vijay Erramilli evijay at cs.bu.edu
Sat Jan 21 16:13:42 EST 2006

Hi All,

We kick-off NRG for this semester on Monday, 23rd Jan with Chong
presenting

"To peer or not to peer: Modeling the Evolution of Internet's AS-
Level Topology"
by Hyunseok Chang, Sugih Jamin and Walter Willinger , to be presented
at Infocom 2006.

Where: Grad Lounge, Research Lab
When: 4 PM Monday 23rd Jan. 2006

Hope to see you all there!

Cheers!
Vijay

More information:

http://www.cs.bu.edu/groups/nrg/new_site/schedule.html

Abstract:
Internet connectivity at the AS level, defined in terms of pairwise
logical peering relationships, is constantly evolving.
This evolution is largely a response to economic, political, and
technological changes that impact the
way ASs conduct their business. We present a new framework for
modeling this evolutionary process
by identifying a set of criteria that ASs consider either in
establishing a new peering relationship
or in reassessing an existing relationship. The proposed framework is
intended to capture key elements
in the decision processes underlying these relationships. We propose
models to capture the decision processes of customer
ASs that are distinctly different from models for peer ASs. To
reflect the enormous heterogeneity among customer or peer ASs, our
models are also flexible enough to accommodate a wide range of AS-
specific objectives. We demonstrate the potential
of this new framework by considering different decision models in
various realistic "what if" experiment scenarios.
We implement these decision models to generate and study the
evolution of the resulting AS graphs over time,
and compare them against observed historical evolutionary features of
the Internet at the AS level.