[Nrg-l] NRG: 21st Feb 2006 Tuesday

Vijay Erramilli evijay at cs.bu.edu
Mon Feb 20 12:50:22 EST 2006

Hi All,

Since we will be following Monday's schedule
on Tuesday 21st Feb, we will have Nahur presenting the following paper:

Harnessing TCPs Burstiness using Flowlet Switching

Shan Sinha, Srikanth Kandula, Dina Katabi
3rd ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (HotNets), November
2004

When: 5:00 PM Tuesday, 21st Feb, 2006
Where: Graduate Lounge, CS Research lab

Hope to see you all there,

Cheers,
Vijay

http://www.cs.bu.edu/groups/nrg/schedule.html

Abstract:
TCP's burstiness is usually regarded as harmful, or at best,
inconvenient.
This paper adopts a new perspective and examines whether TCP's burstiness
is useful for certain applications. It shows that the burstiness can be
harnessed to make TCP more robust to packet reordering caused by route
change. We define a flowlet as a burst of packets from the same flow
followed by an idle interval. We develop a scheme that uses flowlets to
split traffic across multiple parallel paths. We show that flowlet
switching is an ideal technique for load balancing traffic across multiple
paths as it has the accuracy of packet switching, combined with the
robustness of flow switching to packet reordering. The accuracy,
simplicity, and low-overhead of flowlet switching makes it a strong
candidate for replacing the current hash-based schemes used in routers for
splitting traffic across multiple links. Further, flowlet switching
accurately splits traffic across various paths even when their desired
traffic shares vary over time, providing a key component for research in
the areas of adaptive multipath routing, adaptive multihoming, and traffic
engineering.