[Nrg-l] Nahur Fonseca Oral Exam: 1pm Wednesday Dec 13

Mark Crovella crovella at cs.bu.edu
Tue Dec 12 14:36:40 EST 2006

Oral Examination

Title: Information Theory: applications to computer networks

Speaker: Nahur Fonseca

Date and Time: 1pm Wednesday December 13

Location: MCS 135

Abstract:
In this oral exam, I will present a survey of application of
Information-Theory to networks. There is an immense amount of literature
under this umbrella, and our attempt has only skimmed its surface. I
survey the significant work and divide them into three areas:
   1. Theoretical contributions to the field of Information-Theory in
studying the capacity of wireless networks;
   2. Applications of information-theoretic metrics in the research area
of network measurement and characterization;
   3. Information-theoretic approach to hypothesis testing applied in
the context of networks (e.g. anomaly detection, intrusion detection,
etc.)

Committee Members:  Mark Crovella (advisor), Azer Bestavros, Ibrahim
Matta