[Nrg-l] NRG Meeting: Oct 13 2005

Vijay Erramilli evijay at cs.bu.edu
Tue Oct 11 12:15:14 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Nahur will be presenting "An Information-theoretic Approach to Network
Monitoring and Measurement" by Yong Liu, Don Towsley, Tao Ye and
Jean Bolot during this week's NRG.
The paper appears in IMC 2005.

When: Thursday Oct 13, 2005
Where: Grad Lounge, Research Lab

The abstract follows.

Also, we need volunteers for next week's NRG, so please contact me if you
are interested in presenting.

Cheers,
vijay

Abstract:

Network engineers and operators are faced with a number
of challenges that arise in the context of network
monitoring and measurement. These include: i) how
much information is included in measurement traces and
by how much can we compress those traces?, ii) how
much information is captured by different monitoring
paradigms and tools ranging from full packet header captures
to flow-level captures (such as with NetFlow) to
packet and byte counts (such as with SNMP)? and iii)
how much joint information is included in traces collected
at different points and can we take advantage
of this joint information? In this paper we develop a
network model and an information theoretic framework
within which to address these questions. We use the
model and the framework to first determine the benefits
of compressing traces captured at a single monitoring
point, and we outline approaches to achieve those
benefits. We next consider the benefits of joint coding,
or equivalently of joint compression of traces captured a
different monitoring points. Finally, we examine the difference
in information content when measurements are
made at either the flow level or the packet/byte count
level. In all of these cases, the effect of temporal and
spatial correlation on the answers to the above questions
is examined. Both our model and its predictions are validated
against measurements taken from a large operational networks.

http://ipmon.sprint.com/pubs_trs/pubs/tye/imc05-info-theory.pdf