[Nrg-l] Talk on Friday@2pm by Dorgival Guedes (UFMG)

Nahur Fonseca nahur at cs.bu.edu
Thu Jun 23 12:24:37 EDT 2005

Dear all,

As promissed, here is the abstract for the talk.

When: Friday, 6/23, 2pm
Where: MCS 135

What: Data-mining and Visualization for Large Datasets:
      the Anteather and Anthill projects

Abstract:
The increasing resources available in computing clusters are making it
possible for researchers to tackle new problems, and to look at old
ones from new perspectives. That is true, for example, in the areas of
data mining and complex data visualization. We have come to the point
where interactive exploration of large amounts of data has become
possible, although new problems must be addressed. In this talk I will
present the Anteather and Anthill projects that we have been working
on at UFMG, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil. Anteater is
a distributed, multi-user, interactive, incremental data mining service.
It is organized as a service oriented architecture available to people
from different organizations that are working on some interesting
data sets. Applications running on such environment are highly
irregular, I/O intensive and iterative in nature. To make distributed
processing efficient in such environment, the Anthill project focuses on
the development of a programming model and run-time system specially
tailored to those demands. I will provide a general description of the
projects and discuss the many different challenges we have been working
on, with some initial results.

Who:
Dorgival Guedes is an associate professor at Universidade Federal de
Minas Gerais (UFMG), Brazil, where he has been working since he got
his Ph.D. degree from the Computer Science Department of the University
of Arizona in 1999. His research interests include computer networks,
advanced operating systems, parallel processing and all problems found
in the intersection of those areas.

See you there.
-nahur