[Nrg-l] NRG tomorrow @2pm

Niky Riga inki at cs.bu.edu
Tue Jun 14 09:57:57 EDT 2005

Hi,
Tomorrow Vijay is going to present a paper from SIGMETRICS 2005; he just
came back really excited:-) The paper is titled

"Fundamental Bounds on the Accuracy of Network Performance Measurements"

 The meeting will take place tomorrow (Wednesday 6/15) at the grad
lounge at 2:00pm.
 The abstract follows.

One more thing about the time of NRG. It would be more convinient for
me, e.g. I would be able to attend, if we move the time to 4-5pm. I
understand that this might be too late for some of you so please let me
know what you think. Notice that the time won't change for tomorrow's NRG.

Cheers,
Niky

ABSTRACT

This paper considers the basic problem of "how accurate can we make
Internet performance measurements". The answer is somewhat
counterintuitive in that there are bounds on the accuracy of such
measurements, no matter how many probes we can use in a given time
interval, and thus arises a type of Heisenberg inequality describing the
bounds in our knowledge of the performance of a network. The results stem
from the fact that we cannot make independent measurements of a system's
performance: all such measures are correlated, and these correlations
reduce the efficacy of measurements. The degree of correlation is also
strongly dependent on system load. The result has important practical
implications that reach beyond the design of Internet measurements, into
the design of network protocols.