[Nrg-l] NRG resumes this week

Niky Riga inki at cs.bu.edu
Tue Jul 19 11:32:35 EDT 2005

On this week's NRG Hany will present a paper that appeared in SenSys 04.
The title of the paper is :
"Energy-Efficient Forwarding Strategies for Geographic Routing in Lossy
Wireless Sensor Networks". (http://nile.usc.edu/~seada/Sensys.pdf
<http://nile.usc.edu/%7Eseada/Sensys.pdf>)
The NRG will take place on Wednesday (July 20th) at 4:00pm at the grad
lounge.
The abstract follows.

Niky

ABSTRACT:

Recent experimental studies have shown that wireless links in real
sensor networks can be extremely unreliable, deviating to a large extent
from the idealized perfect-reception within-range models used in common
network simulation tools. Previously proposed geographic routing
protocols commonly employ a maximum-distance greedy forwarding technique
that works well in ideal conditions. However, such a forwarding
technique performs poorly in realistic conditions as it tends to forward
packets on lossy links. We identify and illustrate this weak-link
problem and the related distance-hop trade-off, whereby energy efficient
geographic forwarding must strike a balance between shorter,
high-quality links, and longer lossy links. The study is done for
scenarios with and without automatic repeat request (ARQ). Based on an
analytical link loss model, we study the distance-hop trade-off via
mathematical analysis and extensive simulations of a wide array of
blacklisting/link-selection strategies; we also validate some strategies
using a set of real experiments on motes. Our analysis, simulations and
experiments all show that the product of the packet reception rate (PRR)
and the distance traversed towards destination is the optimal forwarding
metric for the ARQ case, and is a good metric even without ARQ. Nodes
using this metric often take advantage of neighbors in the transitional
region (high-variance links). Our results also show that reception based
forwarding strategies are more efficient than purely distance-based
strategies; relative blacklisting schemes reduce disconnections and
achieve higher delivery rates than absolute blacklisting schemes; and
that ARQ schemes become more important in larger networks.