[Nrg-l] This week's NRG on Tuesday

Niky Riga inki at cs.bu.edu
Sat Feb 19 10:32:48 EST 2005

Hi,
This week due to the Monday's holiday NRG will take place on Tuesday, same
time same place (grad lounge, 4:00pm). Chong will lead the discussion on a
paper that is going to appear on Infocom 2005.
"Relevance of Massively Distributed Explorations of the Internet
Topology: Simulation Results"
(http://www.liafa.jussieu.fr/~latapy/Publis/1_0500_Exploration/paper.pdf)

The abstract follows,

Cheers,
niky

ABSTRACT
Internet maps are generally constructed using
the traceroute tool from a few sources to many destinations.
It appeared recently that this exploration process gives a
partial and biased view of the real topology, which leads to
the idea of increasing the number of sources to improve the
quality of the maps. In this paper, we present a set of experiments
we have conduced to evaluate the relevance of this
approach. It appears that the statistical properties of the
underlying network have a strong influence on the quality of
the obtained maps, which can be improved using massively
distributed explorations. Conversely, we show that the exploration
process induces some properties on the maps. We
validate our analysis using real-world data and experiments
and we discuss its implications.

--
question = ( to ) ? be : ! be;
                -- Wm. Shakespeare