[Nrg-l] NRG Talk: 12/15

Vijay Erramilli evijay at cs.bu.edu
Mon Dec 12 17:19:08 EST 2005

Hi All,

Jorge Londono will be presenting the following paper
at the NRG this week.

"A Solver for the Network Testbed Mapping Problem"

Robert Ricci, Chris Alfeld, Jay Lepreau
SIGCOMM Computer Communications Review, 2003.

When: 15th December(Thursday), 2005
Where: Grad Lounge

The abstract follows.

Cheers,
Vijay

Here is the link to the paper

http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/papers/assign-ccr03.pdf

Abstract
--------
Network experiments of many types, especially emulation, require the
ability to map virtual resources requested by an experimenter onto
available physical resources. These resources include hosts, routers,
switches, and the links that connect them. Experimenter requests,
such as
nodes with special hardware or software, must be satisfied, and
bottleneck
links and other scarce resources in the physical topology should be
conserved when physical resources are shared. In the face of these
constraints, this mapping becomes an NP-hard problem. Yet, in order to
prevent mapping time from becoming a serious hindrance to
experimentation,
this process cannot consume an excessive amount of time.
In this paper, we explore this problem, which we call the network
testbed
mapping problem. We describe the interesting challenges that
characterize
it, and explore its application to emulation and other spaces, such as
distributed simulation. We present the design, implementation, and
evaluation of a solver for this problem, which is in production use
on the
Netbed shared network testbed. Our solver builds on simulated
annealing to
find very good solutions in a few seconds for our historical
workload, and
scales gracefully on large well-connected synthetic topologies.