[Nrg-l] Colloquium Oct 25 by Chadi Barakat from INRIA

Ibrahim Matta matta at cs.bu.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:03:07 EDT 2004

Please plan to be there. Chadi Barakat will be visiting us Monday and
Tuesday.

Ibrahim

==
Monday, October 25, 11am in Room MCS 135, 111 Cummington Street

Ranking flows from sampled traffic
Chadi Barakat
INRIA

Host: Ibrahim Matta

Title: Ranking flows from sampled traffic

Authors: Chadi Barakat, Gianluca Iannaccone, Christophe Diot

Abstract:

Inverting flow properties from sampled traffic is known to be complex
and prone to errors. Previous work has mainly focused on inverting
general traffic properties such as flow size distribution, average flow
size, or total number of flows. In this work, we study the feasibility
of the inversion of individual flow properties. We address this problem
by analyzing the detection and ranking of the largest flows from sampled
traffic. Surprisingly, our analytical analysis indicates that a high
sampling rate (10\% and even more) is required. To reduce the sampling
rate by an order of magnitude, the ranking must be limited to just a few
large flows, or the traffic must consist of several millions of flows.
The sampling rate can also be reduced if one is not interested in the
relative sizes of the largest flows but just aims at detecting them. We
verify our analytical result with trace-driven sampling simulations.

Speaker: Chadi Barakat (cbarakat at sophia.inria.fr) is a permanent
research scientist in the Planete research group at INRIA - Sophia
Antipolis since March 2002. He got his Electrical and Electronics
engineering degree from the Lebanese University of Beirut in 1997, and
his master and Ph.D. degrees in Networking from the University of Nice -
Sophia Antipolis in 1998 and 2001. His Ph.D. was done in the Mistral
group at INRIA - Sophia Antipolis. From April 2001 to March 2002, he was
with the LCA department at EPFL-Lausanne for a post-doctoral position,
and from March to August 2004 he was a visiting faculty member at Intel
Research Cambridge. Chadi Barakat is the general chair of PAM 2004 and
WiOpt 2005 workshops. He serves in the program committees of many
international conferences as Infocom, PAM, WONS, ASWN and Globecom. His
main research interests are congestion and error control in computer
networks, the TCP protocol, voice over IP, wireless LANs, Internet
measurement and traffic analysis, and performance evaluation of
communication protocols.