[Nrg-l] NRG on Monday 09/20/04 at 4:00pm

Niky Riga inki at cs.bu.edu
Thu Sep 16 21:33:03 EDT 2004

Hi,
This Monday we are going to resume our NRG meetings.
Nahur and I are going to present work that has been done on
simulating worms. Our talk is going to be mostly based on the following
papers :

"Experiences with worm propagation Simulations" by A. Wagner et al.
(http://dslab.csie.ncu.edu.tw/93html/paper/pdf/Network%20interactions%20Experiences%20with%20worm%20propagation%20simulations.pdf)

"Simulating Realistic Network Worm Traffic for  Worm Warning
  System design and testing" by M. Liljenstam et al.
(http://www.ssfnet.org/Papers/p022-liljenstam.pdf)

"A Mixed Abstraction Level Simulation Model of Large Internet
Worm Infestations" by M. Liljenstam et al.
(http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~nicol//papers-cv/mascots2002.pdf)

"Internet Quarantine: Requirements for Containing Self-Propagating
Code". by D. Moore et al.
(http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/2003/quarantine/worm-infocom03.pdf)

The talk abstract is below.

Niky

ABSTRACT
Internet worms are an emerging threat to Internet hosts and
infrastructure. It is important thus, to study and understand
their behaviour in order to be able to build efficient systems
that can detect them and stop their propagation.
The main problem in studying the behaviour of internet worms
is that real world experiments can not be performed. Researchers
can not create and release a worm on the Internet just to take
measurements.
In this talk we explore how we can build realistic
simulators for worms. Worms usually affect the whole Internet.
Building a system to capture the Internet's behavior is
a challenging problem by itself. We  investigate
what simplifications and assumptions are reasonable
while simulating worm behavior and how to validate the
correctness of the model.